Sweet Sour Apple Sauce
Apple sauce is not only useful as a spread but may be used in other baked goods such as apple pies or muffins. Easy to follow with only 4 to 5 ingredients, this apple sauce recipe can be prepared in 40 mins.
Apple is rich in pectin, a soluble fibre which helps in the formation of bulky stools and helps prevent constipation. The quercetin in apples makes it rich in antioxidant properties, thereby helping to protect our body cells against the inflammation from oxidative stress.
By Si Hui, ZENXIN R&D Executive
- Preparation: 5 mins
- Simmering time: 20 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Total: 40 mins
- Serves: 3-4
- 4 medium Simply Natural Organic Dazzle Apples
- 1 tbsp Simply Natural Organic Apple Cider or Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Simply Natural Organic Acacia Honey or Organic Cane Sugar
- ¾ tsp Simply Natural Organic Cinnamon (optional)
- 2 cups filtered water
- Wash and chop the apples into cubes
- Combine all the ingredients in a frying pan, cook until it boils
- Turn into small heat and simmer covered for 20 mins
- Keep an eye on the apple sauce, add extra water if the sauce is drying out and stir occasionally to avoid burning
- Remove the lids, mash the apples, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. Alternatively, blend for a smoother texture.
- Serve hot or chilled, leftovers can be refrigerated